26.8.07

Longing for lingerie

I hate undergarments. I find them constricting. And yet I cannot resist the lure of lingerie. Forget the lacy, satiny stuff (those are naturally desirable), but I once got myself a sports bra. Now, it makes sense if you are doing something that might take a part of you in two different directions, but how on earth does one wear a sports bra while lounging? I just look at it and think I am sporty. Same goes for the Wonderbra. My advice to any woman who wants it/needs it/is curious about it is: Avoid. I felt I was carrying the weight of the whole T&A brigade on me and it wasn’t one bit flattering.

The array that is available is truly mind-boggling. There are ones filled with gel to give that jiggly look, then the underwired, low-cut, high-cut, cross-strap, no strap…there are ones for T-shirts and I know there are ones that specifically keep a tiny hole for the nipples to stand out. I have been seeing an ad on Indian telly where they are advertising a bra for salwaar-kameez. I have no clue how it works, but if it is being advertised then there is probably a market for it.

In school when we were considered old enough, it was made mandatory by the nuns that we should wear ‘bloomers’ during sports and physical training classes. They were horrendous blooming things that reached the high thigh with thick elastic to keep it in place, so when our uniforms rode up all you got to see were two grey fluffy clouds.

I also do not understand why we want satin/silk undies in humid climate…but we want it so bad that it is terribly sexy, just the wanting…which brings me to the thongs, highly-overrated thongs. The only clothes it comes in good use for are sarees and tight but flimsy pants, where the panty-line looks ugly. Darn it, how can any woman walk around with one strip of bandage being held together by a longer strip that circles the waist, with the butt and almost everything else being left to the elements? What is the logic? Does it have sex appeal? Yeah, a bit…but all the moving a woman does is only so that the damn thing in the middle stays where it is meant to be. It is all illusion…

- - -
This was written and deleted from elsewhere, most certainly not for reasons of prudence. Am reproducing it here specially for a friend who has often wondered about these things.

6 comments:

Tan said...

ah...I do detest lingerie. especially the "fancy-shancy" type

circle said...

blog
But why women need bras?
They can do much better with out'em...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Being a minimalist, undergarments are at times considered a necessary evil – I like mine to be loosely fitting without sacrificing comfort or intruding with natural body movement. Natural fibers are preferred over synthetics and most of all … MUST be able to breath. Only thing that will make more sexy is less, ask Adam (or Eve if you need a feminine perspective) – covering with fig leaves notwithstanding and feeding the fruit is certainly preferred, if you don’t much care for the foliage. Bottom line … all you need is a fig tree, rest will come handy (if need be).

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.