O, cruel world...

It is a new steel glass. The label refuses to come out. Apply oil. It slips and falls. See what I mean? Even new things come with tags, some so well-glued that they refuse to come off. We try to get them to drop those labels and they slip and fall. Right from our hands that have held them.

- - -

Many people see the following song as morose. I don’t. The wail, "Haae, haae yeh zaalim zamaana" (Oh, cruel world) is quite metaphysical and not just about a particular sorrow…I am completely besotted by K. L. Saigal and many wonder why I don’t think the same about Mukesh. Saigal never sang from just his throat and his voice was not nasal as those imitating him tried to mimic. He had a naturally zukhaam hua (suffering from a slight nasal congestion) voice just as he had a zakhmi tone…as though an arrow was threatening to pierce him and all he had was tears as shield.

Listen to Gham diye mustqil… and you will know what I mean…


  1. How do you like Chal Ree sajani by Mukesh?

  2. Listen to this, you might like it...

  3. theindiastory:

    Being a fan of SD I obviously love the song...I think Mukesh has great music directors and lyricists to back him.


    Thanks for the link...I liked the visuals too, especially the beginning 'path'...I love slopping roads.


Appreciate your reading and posting a comment. However, I might not often be able to engage by responding as I've probably said much of what there is to say in the post. After a while, skirmishes get to be boring...