3.8.08

Talk about being nuts for photos

When I first saw these in the inbox, I could feel myself there…there was such palpable tension.

This is a case of a photographer photographing another photographer. The identity of the subject in the photos is unknown.

The following pictures were taken by Hans van de Vorst from the Netherlands at the Grand Canyon, Arizona. Here is the account in his words…

I was simply stunned seeing this guy standing on this solitary rock in the Grand Canyon

The canyon's depth is 900 meters (3,000 " ) here.

The rock on the right is affixed to the edge of the canyon and perfectly safe.

Watching this guy in his rubber thong sandals, burdened with a camera and a tripod

I asked myself 3 questions:

1. How did he climb that rock?

2. Why not take that sunset picture from that rock on the right, which is perfectly safe?

3. How will he get back?

After the sun set behind the canyon's horizon he packed his things and prepared himself for the jump.

This took about 2 minutes.

At that point he definitely had the full attention of the crowd.


This is the point of no return.

After that, he jumped in his thong sandals & only having one hand free . . . The canyon's depth is 900 meters (3,000 feet) here.

You can see that the adjacent rock is quite a bit higher than where he is (and quite steep.)

He hopes to use his one free hand to grab on to the rock.

Look carefully at the photographer.

He is carrying a camera, a tripod and also a plastic bag - all on his shoulder or in his left hand.

He lands low on his flip flops ~ both his right hand and right foot slip away...

And at that moment I take this shot:

He pushes his body tight against the rock - waits for a few seconds, throws his stuff on top of the rock, then climbs up & walks away.

(Presumably to a bathroom to change his shorts!)

4 comments:

  1. Is this real?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, too much beer will do that to you - rush to the loo that is. I'd simply relieve myself in the direction of the prevailing wind if I were him. Only problem is, the Canyon creates swirling wind eddies and you end up wetting your pants - then I'd take a nap .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Real...unreal...some find answers...I like illusions...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes I have dreamed of becoming a photographer who will take very difficult and life endangering pictures.

    And of course be rich and famous. :P

    Anyway, I like beauty and the thrill of danger. So that explains. Kudos to this spidey photographer.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.