8.11.09

Sunday ka Funda

Rumi was sitting next to a pond intellectualizing over his numerous religious books - his precious possessions – when Shams Tabrez ‘happened’ to pass by, stopped and asked him, ‘what is this?’ Rumi, without looking up, egoistically said, ‘leave me alone!’ Tabrez then repeated, ‘what is this?’ Then Rumi looked up and said, ‘can’t you see I’m busy; besides, this is a knowledge of which you know nothing about!’

Tabrez then went and picked up the most valuable one of Rumi’s books and tossed it right into the waterpond, which, of course, infuriated Rumi. Rumi screamed, ‘you crazy man! look what you’ve done; my prize possession is ruined!’

Upon hearing that, Tabrez immediately reached into the pond, fetched-out the book and handed it to Rumi – completely whole and dry! Rumi, in total amazement and wonder, asked, ‘what is this?’ – to which Shams Tabrez replied, ‘this is a knowledge of which you know nothing about.’

- - -

“Outwardly, you are equal to a particle. Inwardly, you are equal to a hundred suns” -Shams Tabrez

1 comment:

  1. Manish:

    Completely agree with you but I think the nurse/doc saw you before your mother could.

    The Rumi/Tabrez dialogue shows us how even when you seek within we need some external force.

    At the Nizamuddin dargah, since I had gone without planning, I did not have my head covered. Outside the sanctum there was this guy selling aggarbattis and I lit some. He started on about how "Khuda ke darbar mein sar ko tau dhaank lo". I was so livid. I said, "Khuda ka ghar sab jagah hota hai aur unko mere sar se koi skikayat nahin hogi". Once inside, I realised I had to appease the devotees, so I just took the back end of my flannel poncho (it was winter) and pulled it over my head:)

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.