2.9.16

Roads and Ways

I have been watching Abbas Kiarostami's roads, and I have to confess that a few respectful minutes after he started speaking I muted his voice.  It is not because I dislike his voice - but if you watch the amazing topography and the unobtrusive, almost silent, music, you will know how speech comes in the way.

I am glancing at his words in the subtitles, for I do not understand the Farsi that he speaks. It is indeed a journey. But like the great artist he is, he makes the viewer look for their own journey.

That is what I have been doing. There was such a moment of metaphysical serendipity in the shots where after the slow movement forward the camera moves back, as though retracing every step. Sometimes we just go ahead without caring about what we are going through, what we should be seeing along the way.

The roads look sometimes like flowing rivers, occasionally like limbs and often as slivers on a larger landscape. Do we look this closely when we travel - be it for errands or work or for leisure? Even on our long drives, we switch on the music or talk with whoever is with us.

Kiarostomi was right. "I've often noticed that we are not able to look at what we have in front of us, unless it's inside a frame."

And so he framed these for us:

No comments: